Fiecare copil merita o poveste (A Story for Every Child) is a pilot program that improves children’s vocabulary by enhancing the kindergarten and home literacy environment in poor rural communities. The program will reach villages in every county by the end of 2019.
This set of interventions targets the poorest areas: trainings for preschool teachers, providing My First Book to take home for children who have no books at home, equipping teachers with quality educational materials and rural kindergartens with ready-made Reading Corners, and also developing the National Early Literacy Network, a community of motivated preschool teachers.
In 2018 the program reached 12 counties, with 20,000 preschool children taking their First Book home, and over 100 kindergartens that received a ready-made reading corner – the KinderLibrary.
1. Train 1000 Master Teachers to model good teaching techniques and conduct training sessions for their peers.
2. Train another 20,000 teachers, with the support of the Master Teachers, in how to develop children’s oral communication skills utilizing picture books and conversation.
3. Equip these teachers with quality learning tools so they can transfer their training to daily educational activities.
4. Provide “My First Book” to 80,000 children who have virtually no books at home, and expose children, parents and teachers to messages about the importance of reading aloud every day.
5. Provide 400 teachers with ready-made Reading Corners consisting of:
– A child-friendly bookcase in a comfortable area for gathering around the teacher at reading time;
– A selection of the best age-appropriate and curriculum-related books;
– A copy of a book selected from the classroom library for each child to take home.
6. Develop the “National Early Literacy Network” into a robust community of motivated preschool teachers who share best practices, pictures, ideas, and experiences online and in small groups, and annually convene county and regional “Kinder-Teacher Galas” to encourage a sense of pride, professionalism and community among Romania’s most significant under-appreciated educators: preschool teachers.